separating ball joint

nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

separating ball joint

Post by nicko500s »

im having trouble separating the lower ball joint on the rover 45, we were using a fork type seperating tool but these damage the rubber cover of the joint, is there a better tool for the job.
now since the rubbers are proberly torn and the car has done 125,000 i think i will replace the ball joints to save having to do all this again.

a friend who was kindly helping me remove the engine, jacked the engine on the hoist with out first disconnecting the drive shafts, the result is that the cv joint has come apart inside the drive shaft boot at the hub end an on the n/s the shaft has come apart at the gearbox, the very end of the shaft is still in the gearbox, will these go back together ok of are they broken?
E_T_V
Site Admin

Re: separating ball joint

Post by E_T_V »

nicko500s wrote:im having trouble separating the lower ball joint on the rover 45, we were using a fork type seperating tool but these damage the rubber cover of the joint, is there a better tool for the job.
now since the rubbers are proberly torn and the car has done 125,000 i think i will replace the ball joints to save having to do all this again.

a friend who was kindly helping me remove the engine, jacked the engine on the hoist with out first disconnecting the drive shafts, the result is that the cv joint has come apart inside the drive shaft boot at the hub end an on the n/s the shaft has come apart at the gearbox, the very end of the shaft is still in the gearbox, will these go back together ok of are they broken?

This type are more gentle but if they fit are less likely to cause damage to rubber boots etc.

The CV joints will go back together once the boot is removed, and the retaining tags will need hammering back over to stop the joint from seperating again.
nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

Re: separating ball joint

Post by nicko500s »

thanks that sorted it, i found the one in the top photo for £16 in halfords, they said i could return it if it didnt work, but i was glad it was up to the job as the sealey one is £45.