new shocks n springs?

nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

new shocks n springs?

Post by nicko500s »

while im in the prosess of fitting a new engine im finding there are lots of other things that are worth replacing while the suspension is exposed, for example as the rubbers on the lower ball joints are damaged i will have to replace them but it seems you cant remove them without disasembeling the hub? so i may as well change the wheel bearings as the car is on 125k, rather do it all now and know its going to last a long time, i dont want to take it all apart again!!
im unfamiliar with this car and while sourcing parts i saw the wheel bearings come as part of the hub assy with the abs cog type ring on?
i would like to poly bush the whole car but its too involved for me, but i think it would be worth changing the shocks and springs so to get to the point can anyone recommend a set?

i want a comfortable ride, maybe lowered slightly, im thinking gas shocks?
does it matter that the car is diesel?
can you think of anything else i should change?
any sugestions appreciated

thanks
E_T_V
Site Admin

Re: new shocks n springs?

Post by E_T_V »

nicko500s wrote:while im in the prosess of fitting a new engine im finding there are lots of other things that are worth replacing while the suspension is exposed, for example as the rubbers on the lower ball joints are damaged i will have to replace them but it seems you cant remove them without disasembeling the hub? so i may as well change the wheel bearings as the car is on 125k, rather do it all now and know its going to last a long time, i dont want to take it all apart again!!
Front ball joints need to be removed from the front hub I seem to recall. Unbolt the CV joint and seperate the ball joints and then you can simply lift it out. Then you can knock the old ball joint out and replace. No need to remove the wheel bearings.
im unfamiliar with this car and while sourcing parts i saw the wheel bearings come as part of the hub assy with the abs cog type ring on?
The ABS ring for the front is part of the CV joint not part of the hub I think, (at least it is on the 400). The rear wheel bearing contains the ABS ring though.

i would like to poly bush the whole car but its too involved for me, but i think it would be worth changing the shocks and springs so to get to the point can anyone recommend a set?

i want a comfortable ride, maybe lowered slightly, im thinking gas shocks?
does it matter that the car is diesel?
can you think of anything else i should change?
any sugestions appreciated

Thanks
Shocks and springs for the ZS diesels are probably your best bet for a slight drop and firmer handling. you can go lower and harder still but it depends on what you are after.
nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

Post by nicko500s »

thanks,

i think i will go for the zs diesel shocks and springs, they seem hard to source, ECP dont stock them and partco had a lot of different ones which was just confusing.
can you recomend somewhere i could get them from?
as my car is a standard 45 spirit s are the top mounts and bottom legs the same as the zs?
if so the shocks and springs should be direct swap over.
E_T_V
Site Admin

Post by E_T_V »

If you go on the Rimmer bros website you can check the part numbers from each car to make sure they are the same but I think they will be.

I'm not sure but it may just be the shocks that are different, but again you can check the part numbers on the rimmerbros site to be sure.
nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

Post by nicko500s »

for those interested, i did go for the ZS Diesel shocks and springs, the car looks better 30mm lower and although it can be a bit bouncy at speed on our UK roads (which i quite like) the ride is not too hard or uncomfortable.
i also fitted rear upper and lower strut braces, the car has less throttle off oversteer and handles noticably better :D and feels very stable and positive.
now im looking forward to sourcing an upper and lower for the front, i might even get some made myself and after the difference the polybush kit made to my range rover classic i think it would make a big difference to the steering and handeling on our cars too, has anyone out there had a polybush kit fitted to a 25 or 45? i would be interested to hear the results.