Bigger Brakes

nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

Re: Bigger Brakes

Post by nicko500s »

is that cos the clutch is worn out?
i dont understand the link bar, there is no play in it, if i knew how to upload a photo i could explain.
E_T_V
Site Admin

Post by E_T_V »

No the clutch is fine. Just the linkage is worn in various locations (not suprised with 275k miles on the clock).
So I need a little extra travel on it.
E_T_V
Site Admin

Post by E_T_V »

nicko500s wrote:is that cos the clutch is worn out?
i dont understand the link bar, there is no play in it, if i knew how to upload a photo i could explain.
Put the photo on photobucket or similar and then link it in using the (img) tags wrapped around the link URL.

The bar should have a tiny amount of play in it. Well at least it does on the 600 clutch anyhow.
nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

Post by nicko500s »

Thanks, if l get time I will see if i can upload one, 50 mile run today and they are still binding & as i will now have to remove the servo l decided to buy a used mg zs 180 servo with the master cylinder fitted, im thinking if i got to take it off any way i may as well get it, my thoughts are that that the servos are probably the same but the link bar is set differently for the standard and bigger master cylinders. i really hope so any way... surely that will fix it?
hows the camper build going E T V ? would be very interested to see the progress :)
nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

Post by nicko500s »

ok if this works its the photo of the link bar.

http://s1305.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... 4.jpg.html

or the link to it al least! the link worked when i tried it.
the servo end of the bar is free to turn inside the black part so you would need to get a spanner on the welded nut, then plyers on the odd shaped lock nut & theres hardly any room for one hand let alone 2.

if the bolt goes through the black part and is connected to the servo then i can see how turning it may back off the pressure on the servo/ master cylinder, if not then it seems this bar is just for adjusting the play in the pedal? still i will get it off late next week & find out.
E_T_V
Site Admin

Post by E_T_V »

nicko500s wrote:ok if this works its the photo of the link bar.

http://s1305.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... 4.jpg.html
or the link to it al least! the link worked when i tried it.
the servo end of the bar is free to turn inside the black part so you would need to get a spanner on the welded nut, then plyers on the odd shaped lock nut & theres hardly any room for one hand let alone 2.

if the bolt goes through the black part and is connected to the servo then i can see how turning it may back off the pressure on the servo/ master cylinder, if not then it seems this bar is just for adjusting the play in the pedal? still i will get it off late next week & find out.
Loosen the locknut on the top left (on the pedal end of the bar)
Screw the bar into the pedal so that there is some slack in the bar - pliers should do(doesn't need to be a lot just so that the brakes aren't applied all the time)
E_T_V
Site Admin

Post by E_T_V »

nicko500s wrote: hows the camper build going E T V ? would be very interested to see the progress :)
No real progress at the moment, but keep an eye on this thread for progress

http://www.roverdiesel.co.uk/forums/vie ... f=16&t=206
nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

Post by nicko500s »

ok, fitted the mg zs servo yesterday and everything works as it should & it was more comfortable to do with the drivers seat removed, there is more pedal travel than i would like but not as bas as with the std master cylinder and servo & no doubt you could possibly adjust this by tinkering with the link bar but it didnt occure to me to losen the odd shaped lock nut while the new servo was off the car so i will leave it now but i loved the instant reaction of the brakes before, and maybe the link bar does adjust the amount of travel or just the position of the pedal itself, i dont understand it, i got mind block trying to work it out :(