Improve Fuel Flow to Injection Pump

Remi55
Bolt Twiddler

Improve Fuel Flow to Injection Pump

Post by Remi55 »

Hi again ;)

I had an accident with my 220 :evil: Wasn't my fault by the way :cry: I bought few weeks ago a Rover 25 idt '00, and I`m very worried about the VP30 pump in it :x The 25 has now 239.000km on the dashboard, after reading your articel about "Improve Fuel Flow to Injection Pump" i decided to install an extra fuel pump :roll:

What is for you a small low pressure fuel pump that delivers a few psi :?: Would be one with 1bar (14psi) pressure to much :|
Remi55
Bolt Twiddler

Re: Improve Fuel Flow to Injection Pump

Post by Remi55 »

I find now some electric pump for older cars with a pressure of 0,2-0,4bar (3-6psi) :D Those should be the rigth one :?: ;)
E_T_V
Site Admin

Post by E_T_V »

The most suitable are carburettor type pumps which deliver 1-4psi.

Fuel injection pumps deliver a much higher pressure 40-60psi and are unsuitable.
Remi55
Bolt Twiddler

Post by Remi55 »

Ok thanks, so the second pump, a Pierburg pump, should be the right one :D It's not very cheap ~30€ :x but i'll give it a try :lol:
E_T_V
Site Admin

Post by E_T_V »

Yes it should be ok if it is low pressure and flows enough fuel for the engine

This is similar to the one I have on my van

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FACET-Solid-State ... 19ba6f7a23
Remi55
Bolt Twiddler

Post by Remi55 »

I want to buy that one:
http://www.allegro.pl/item1052309135_po ... _nowa.html

This one is able of 65 liter/hour fuel flow ;) It's only the half capacity of your pump. :?
Remi55
Bolt Twiddler

Post by Remi55 »

Originally Posted by E_T_V View Post
Fit a fuel lift pump and that should help. Thats what I've done to protect the pump from fuel starvation.
How you have done the wiring and have your removed the hand pump and put in their place the lift pump :?:
E_T_V
Site Admin

Post by E_T_V »

Remi55 wrote:
Originally Posted by E_T_V View Post
Fit a fuel lift pump and that should help. Thats what I've done to protect the pump from fuel starvation.
How you have done the wiring and have your removed the hand pump and put in their place the lift pump :?:

Yes I have remove the hand primer and fitted the pump in its place (as well as a pressure gauge so I can see if it is working!).

It is wired into an igntion live so runs all the time the igntion is turned on. If you are ultra conscious about safety you could also run it through an inertia switch too but for a diesel I'm not sure I'm too worried about it.
Remi55
Bolt Twiddler

Post by Remi55 »

You should post some pics how it looks like. To fit a pressure gauge isn't a bad idea, how does it look like ;)

I'm not that ultra conscious :D I thought to build a relay switch and if you will not start the engine after 30sec the pump will tun off :)
E_T_V
Site Admin

Post by E_T_V »

There is a feed and return pipe on the injection pump so it doesn't matter if the pump runs continuously as all it does is circulate fuel to the pump and back to the tank.