Vp21 without ECU

Remi55
Bolt Twiddler

Vp21 without ECU

Post by Remi55 »

Hi,

I've got a simple question, but couldn't find any simple answer because the opinions are divided :roll: ;)

Does the VP21 pump on the SD/ D Models need the Rover ECU to run :?: The wiring is very simple and at forums.mg-rover.org some people wrote, that the fuel timing is done by the timing belt end the ECU only controls other things instead of the pump :?: :D Is it true :roll:

I'm making a backup plan for my 25 itd in case the pump will give up the ghost :lol: I thought to leave the Bosch ECU from the Rover 25 in place, to control the IMMO, radiators, air con and just put in the mechanical pump. Fit the 3 wires (+ , fuel cut off, injector timing selenoid) to the pump and hopefully it should run :? :lol:
E_T_V
Site Admin

Re: Vp21 without ECU

Post by E_T_V »

The VP21 will run without the Ecu but I have a feeling that the pump timing is done by the ECU so whilst it'll run it may not run to its full potential.

I'm not sure on this though, as I know someone who has fitted one to a maestro without an ECU in sight, but I've also seen the ECU and I have a feeling that it controls more than just the EGR.
Remi55
Bolt Twiddler

Post by Remi55 »

hmm.. I found on the Rover forum only two swaps of the Vp21 into other cars.
One was a Camping-Van, but after some emails from him, he told me he used the ECU
The second was a Montego with the L-series VP21 but I have no contact informations from him :?

On the schematics the VP21 has 3 wires and as i wrote above i labeled as "injector timing selenoid" :roll:

Therefor i have to rethink my swap plan a little bit :)
E_T_V
Site Admin

Post by E_T_V »

The ECU isn't needed to run, but it is needed to give the best performance available.
FrankJScott
Spanner Twirler

Recommended Product Info

Post by FrankJScott »

Please try Google before asking about High Rated Product Info 9f20755
FrankJScott
Spanner Twirler

Best Product Tips

Post by FrankJScott »

Please try Google before asking about Useful Product Info 32199c5