Air filter options

Kieranm105
Spanner Twirler

Air filter options

Post by Kieranm105 »

What have you all done for air filter upgrades?
I currently have a twin cone filter on mine straight onto the maf sensor housing.
I don't know if it is doing any good or not?

My other options woul be to:
- new maf and standard air box with upgraded panel filter
- keep the cone filter and put extra pipe work on and new maf
- or something else?

Kieran
E_T_V
Site Admin

Re: Air filter options

Post by E_T_V »

Lots of options, but aside from the noise factor that an open cone gives, so long as the filter is big enough then it should be fine.
Kieranm105
Spanner Twirler

Post by Kieranm105 »

What about moister getting in to the maf sensor?
I don't care about the noise, you can't really hear the cone filter noise over the rest of the noises that the land rover makes!
:D

I did try a cold air intake box but I was struggling for space with the pipework when the box was attached to the maf sensor unit. So I still have that in my cellar, as well as the standard box.
E_T_V
Site Admin

Post by E_T_V »

It depends on if you go wading really. Water and diesel engines don't mix!

If you do then you'll want an enclosed filter and a snorkle!

If not then an open cone high up in the engine bay will be fine.
Kieranm105
Spanner Twirler

Post by Kieranm105 »

Wading in my freelander! Noooo!!
It would float before getting too deep :lol: plus the snorkles are harder to get hold of than rocking horse poo with hens teeth in them! And the missus would kill me if I had a snorkle put on. :cry:

I was just meaning general moisture in the air, like on damp mornings sort of thing.
I like my cone filter and was thinking of moving it down a bit by the battery where the standard box cold air feed is, and use some alloy pipe.
Kieranm105
Spanner Twirler

Post by Kieranm105 »

This is what I have at the minute.
nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

Post by nicko500s »

i just have a standard JR cone filter i found on ebay new for £12, im not sure if its big enough after i read the filters section on this site but moisture should not be an issue unless it was splashed off roading, if you do off road then i would go for the original air box with a K&N or pipercross panel filter, that way you will be safe.
Kieranm105
Spanner Twirler

Post by Kieranm105 »

I've replaced the MAF sensor this weekend and fitted the standard air box back on and went for a spin in her.
Running so much better so I've ordered a performance panel filter to get rid of the paper one in at the moment.
So if anyone wants a twin cone filter and heat shield or an unused cold air intake carbon box and fittings let me know.
Kieran
nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

Post by nicko500s »

has changing the maf made any improvment of fuel consumption? do you have any photos of the air filters and prices? :D
Kieranm105
Spanner Twirler

Post by Kieranm105 »

nicko500s wrote:has changing the maf made any improvment of fuel consumption? do you have any photos of the air filters and prices? :D
Not yet as there is still the cold starting problem which might be affecting fuel consumption. I only put the maf and air box back on friday so don't know yet!
The cone filter an shield is the one in the photo above.
The cold intake system is brand new think it was £40 ish. I'm open to offers :)