RE camper van thread

nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

RE camper van thread

Post by nicko500s »

Hi ETV
I enjoy seeing all your mods to the van, is that an in line fuel pressure guage in the photo? also how did you convert the window switch bulb to LED & what LEDs did you use? did you need to use a resistor? i have added 12v LEDs to my other car but they burn out.
I put concealed lights under the dash kick space and under the rear of the front seats in my R45 using small halfords LED daytime running lights to illuminate the footwells and as they are wired off the interior light they come on when you open the doors and dim as well, the key is to position them so the actual light unit cant be seen itself, i also fitted red cold cathode lighting in the front in the same place and in the tray under the ash tray this time using the same small slim strip LEDs as in the front door handles (inside) so they match the dash lights, if i remember i will take a photo. looking forward to seeing more of the build.
E_T_V
Site Admin

Re: RE camper van thread

Post by E_T_V »

nicko500s wrote:Hi ETV
I enjoy seeing all your mods to the van, is that an in line fuel pressure guage in the photo? also how did you convert the window switch bulb to LED & what LEDs did you use? did you need to use a resistor? i have added 12v LEDs to my other car but they burn out.
I put concealed lights under the dash kick space and under the rear of the front seats in my R45 using small halfords LED daytime running lights to illuminate the footwells and as they are wired off the interior light they come on when you open the doors and dim as well, the key is to position them so the actual light unit cant be seen itself, i also fitted red cold cathode lighting in the front in the same place and in the tray under the ash tray this time using the same small slim strip LEDs as in the front door handles (inside) so they match the dash lights, if i remember i will take a photo. looking forward to seeing more of the build.
Yes that is a fuel pressure gauge. Its there to check on the pressure that the little pump puts out. It usually reads 4psi from memory.

The LED's are just 3mm (or possibly 5mm) LED's with a resistor soldered in line. They are a bit of a faff to fit as you need to find room for the resistor as well as the LED itself. I think I also had to sand the top of the LED off so it didn't stick out too far.

When you work out the LED resistor values you need to remember that when the engine is running the electrics are at 13.5-14.5v not 12v.

In my old van I had red and white cold cathode lighting for the interior van. I think I used 4 of each colour so you could have red or white or both if you felt the need for pink lighting!

I was thinking of putting in night lighting (little red LED's) in the MGF mirror that I have fitted. Or I could put them in the headliner - I've not decided yet. I've kept the camper thread locked so it doesn't end up with comments in the middle of the build thread but all comments are always welcome!