poly bush your gear linkage.

nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

poly bush your gear linkage.

Post by nicko500s »

while the engine was out i decided to do as much work as possible to the 45, i sourced a kit that should eliminate the rattle and soggyness of the gear change from Mark at silverstorm AI, roughly £20 there are only two components to the kit but there are no instructions to fit but it is straight forward.
firstly you need to work from under the car with the car on axel stands as you need some room to do this job.
an arm comes from under the gear lever to the gearbox where it is retained by a 10 mil bolt and washer, remove the arm, push out the old very soggy bush and push in the new one, this can be tricky as polybushes a slippery sort of waxy, but a g clamp may be of some use, once pushed in reasamble.
the second bush is located under where the gear lever comes out the underside of the car and bolts directly to the tunnel, care is needed here as the bolts can get corroded and they dont go inside the car rather they are welded to the floor so if they snap you will have the trouble of taking the carpet out and drilling through to fit new bolts.
slide off the bush and fit the metel plate and tubes (that stop the bush crushing when you tighten up the nuts) to the new bush.
if you are getting exhaust knocking check the equally soggy exhaust rubbers, you can replace these with poly type ones but they are pricey for what they are about £5 each and there must be about 5 at least.
my exhaust was knocking on a break pipe at the rear which would eventually wear through, nice.
E_T_V
Site Admin

Re: poly bush your gear linkage.

Post by E_T_V »

Whilst you are under there, check the universal joint at the gearbox end. It frequently wears giving slop in the linkage and that sense of stirring porridge when trying to pick a gear.

Also check the spring pin which joins the linkage onto the gearbox selector rod. These too wear and give slop in the gear selection linkage.