L Series Variants

News and information will be posted here.
Rovers 'til I die

L Series Variants

Post by Rovers 'til I die »

My 1997 Rover 600 diesel has died. I need a new engine and will buy a donor car, are all the intercooled L series engines fitted to the Rover 200, 400 and 600 the same?
E_T_V
Site Admin

Re: L Series Variants

Post by E_T_V »

Rovers 'til I die wrote:My 1997 Rover 600 diesel has died. I need a new engine and will buy a donor car, are all the intercooled L series engines fitted to the Rover 200, 400 and 600 the same?
Yes and no.

The basic engine block is the same on all 2/4/600 L series engines, but the ancillaries differ. e.g, aircon non aircon etc.

Also be aware that the flywheel clutch and turbo are smaller on the non intercooled models (and the crank sensor is different too on these).

The rover 25/45/zr/zs L series engines are also worth considering. The fuel pump and adapter plate will need to be swapped for your existing one though. The turbo is slightly bigger/better on these too. Again there are a few difference in ancillaries, but notably the cambelt is narrower and there are extra dampers on the cam pulleys to cope with the different fuel pump on these models.

I hope that helps.
E_T_V
Site Admin

Re: L Series Variants

Post by E_T_V »

Also what has actually died on the engine? They are usually incredibly reliable engines. It might be a simple fix.