gearbox and cluch problems

rosierover

gearbox and cluch problems

Post by rosierover »

hello all i am so glad to have found this site

i have rover 400 diesel turbo with intercooler its t reg 1999

the car had done 71.000 when i got it and i had a clonking sound when i would change gear
i was told that the dif on the gear box had gone and i needed a new on, so i had a second had box and new clutch fitted
this did not solve the clonking sound, but it did make things worse.

turns out the clonk was due to a worn bush got it sorted.

but now with the new clutch i have some problems it judders when i pull away and the same in reverse some times it bad some times its ok any idea’s?

also after i had done about 5.000 mile with the new clutch another problem i am getting a screeching sound when let the clutch out it happens only 2 or 3 time then it goes when the car a run for a bit, this happens mostly on cold or wet mornings. i have been told the clutch is just taking up the slack and not to worry, what do you think?

and more thing, i am getting a rattling sound sometimes when the engine it just idling if i push the clutch in the rattle goes away and idea’s????

I would appreciate any help on this, as its driving my crazy I like a smooth ruing car.
E_T_V
Site Admin

Re: gearbox and cluch problems

Post by E_T_V »

rosierover wrote:hello all i am so glad to have found this site

i have rover 400 diesel turbo with intercooler its t reg 1999

the car had done 71.000 when i got it and i had a clonking sound when i would change gear
i was told that the dif on the gear box had gone and i needed a new on, so i had a second had box and new clutch fitted
this did not solve the clonking sound, but it did make things worse.

turns out the clonk was due to a worn bush got it sorted.

but now with the new clutch i have some problems it judders when i pull away and the same in reverse some times it bad some times its ok any idea’s?

also after i had done about 5.000 mile with the new clutch another problem i am getting a screeching sound when let the clutch out it happens only 2 or 3 time then it goes when the car a run for a bit, this happens mostly on cold or wet mornings. i have been told the clutch is just taking up the slack and not to worry, what do you think?

and more thing, i am getting a rattling sound sometimes when the engine it just idling if i push the clutch in the rattle goes away and idea’s????

I would appreciate any help on this, as its driving my crazy I like a smooth ruing car.
Is the clutch arm on the new gearbox free? They commonly seize which can give a jerky clutch.

However the screech sounds like a duff clutch release bearing though.

The whirring noise till the clutch is pressed is the clutch input shaft bearing. Check the oil level is ok. If not and the noise isn't getting a lot worse then leave it alone, as this noise is fairly common and usually never gets a lot worse.
Ptomo

Re: gearbox and cluch problems

Post by Ptomo »

As said also I have experienced clutch judder from a worn clutch and leaking oil on the fly wheel but as etv said arm could be seized try using some maintenace spray around the arm on the box while someones pumping the pedal if that don't work then it'd be box off to investigate,but you may need to do that anyway if you need a new input shaft bearing :( where abouts you from as there's prob some rover nut in or around your area that would help for a fraction of the price you'd pay at a garage :)