PG1 Drive Shaft oil seals

nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

PG1 Drive Shaft oil seals

Post by nicko500s »

After fitting a new N/S drive shaft the oils seal is leaking quite badly, it is possible I damaged it while fitting the drive shaft or is it possible that the shaft may not be all the way into the gearbox, would this cause it to leak?
Anyway I have the kit TRT 100050 which was the rubber oil seals in it but I have been reading posts on other forums saying that there are two types one is metal faced and the other is just rubber, i did not notice which seals it had already fitted but does it matter if which seals i fit, are the metal faced ones better than the just rubber ones?
E_T_V
Site Admin

Re: PG1 Drive Shaft oil seals

Post by E_T_V »

If it is a bubble shaped car then it'll have the metal faced shields as standard.

The earlier wedge shaped 200/400 could use either depending on their age

In the later cars the metal shielded ones are the better ones. However you can happily use the rubber ones with a little care, (indeed my 600 has run one of each for the past 100,000 miles). When fitting they need to be pushed just flush into the box. The rubber seals have no lip to stop you pushing them too far. The metal ones can't be pushed in too far.

You can use rubber or metal shielded seals on cars originally fitted with metal shielded seals, i.e. anything post '95

You must use rubber seals on cars that came with rubber seals originals (as the inner CV joint is slightly different meaning if you fit metal shielded seals the inner CV joint won't locate into the box properly), e.g., early 2/400's and maestros/ montegos etc.
nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

Re: PG1 Drive Shaft oil seals

Post by nicko500s »

Thanks ETV, I went for the metal faced seals, very easy to swap, just prise out, push in.
I thought I would mention that the part number for the kit mentioned above is probably not the right kit to replace the diff seals on the PG1 Diesel box, I bought it for the input shaft (gear selector) bar seal years ago, which fitted fine. the remaining seals that where in the box didn't fit the diff when we checked but it maybe that they where lost or used elsewhere.