alloy catch tank

nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

alloy catch tank

Post by nicko500s »

im looking for advise on buying a good alloy oil catch tank in the hope of eliminating the oil from the air intake system, the reason for this is i was intending to do some mods to the inlet manifold, port match and maybe gas flow, i came across an inlet pipe in the scrap yard and it was heavily contaminated with crusty oil deposits restricting the air flow and the inlet manifolds seem to have the same contamination build up, i thought theres little point paying to have the manifold gas flowed only to have oil deposits ruin the flow over time, so then i looked at the oil catch tank on this site but they unavailable? so can anyone recommend one with good fitting instructions? and how affective are they at solving the problem? would blanking the egr valve help? anything else i can do to prevent this build up?
nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

Re: alloy catch tank

Post by nicko500s »

ok i had time to look into this a little deeper, it seems these are an important item specially on the kv6 rovers as the oil contaminates the butterfly valve things built into the inlet manifold and burns a motor out, on our turbo diesel cars this oil vapour condenses in the whole air system from the turbo through the hoses (which unless you have silicone hoses will make them soft and they will expand under boost wasting pressure and therefore power!)
it collects in the intercooler as well and clogs up the inlet manifold.

all engines need to breath, what is ment by this i think is that there is pressure in the crank case generated by the movement of the pistons?
to relieve this pressure (or maybe help equalise the pressure between the top and bottom ends of the engine) there are breather pipes which generally go from the crank case to the rocker cover and or the inlet manifold, now as the crank case is full of oil the air coming out of the crank case contains oil vapour which travels around and condenses on all the parts of the air system.

it seems you could remove most of the breather hose system and fit those small air filters you see on ebay (to prevent ingress of small particles into the engine oil) to the crank case breather hose and the rocker cover, the side effect of this method apparently is the smell of oil in the cabin and possible dripping/ misting oil messing up the engine bay.

the oil catch tank fits inline between the crank case breather hose and the rocker cover or the inlet manifold breather hose, inside the catch tank is a medium such as wire wool which some of the oil in this vapour condenses on thus removing oil contamination from they system, i say some of the oil as it seems some catch tanks are more affective than others. a quick ebay search will find many catch tanks from £20 to £190! theres no reason why an expensive catch tank should be any better than a £20 catch tank as long as the internal design and condensing medium is good, which you wont know till you try. oh and they need emptying from time to time so a tank with a level indicator window or tube is a good idea sited in a suitable position within the engine bay.
apparently oil catch tanks are relevent to most cars built after 1960 but only realy needed on turbo cars and the v6 rovers?

have i understood this correctly? are there other ways of eliminating oil from the air system?
can anyone add any info to this or recomend a good catch tank? or which pipes to connect to on the L series?
E_T_V
Site Admin

Post by E_T_V »

You have two options to stop the crud building up in the intake manifold and ports.

The first is to remove the oil mist from the airflow by using a catch tank or even venting it directly to the atmosphere via a filter (the second is not something I'd recommend).

The second is to disable/blank the EGR system.

Many tuned diesels will have the EGR blanked already so if you have already done this then you don't need a catch tank. It is only the combination of EGR and oil mist that causes the build up. If you remove either component buildup will not occur.
nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

Post by nicko500s »

thats good news i will blank the egr then and save some money, thanks E.T.V
nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

Post by nicko500s »

just read about the egr valve on this forum under exhaust and changed my mind i like the idea of faster warm up and better economy and lower combustion temp with the EGR valve so i will now persue the alloy oil catch tank route again, looks like i will have to take a chance and just get one off ebay has anyone fitted one of these to an L series before? which are the best breather pipes to connect to?
E_T_V
Site Admin

Post by E_T_V »

catch tanks are fairly basic things. They are usually a pot stuffed with wire wool to help the oil vapour condense out.

There is only one breather that runs from the back of the cam cover to the turbo inlet via a black plastic valve. It is this pipe you'll need to extend to the catch tank and you'll need to block the valve end too to prevent unfiltered air entering the turbo.

You can make your own catch tank if you really want to but it depends on what materials and equipment you have lying around.

Also remember that periodically the catch tank will need emptying either back into the oil filler (not recommended by me) or discarded. They shouldn't fill up often though. Perhaps I'll have to make/fit one and do an article for this site as my project currently has no breather pipework at all!
bag o bob

Post by bag o bob »

Hi
I'm also looking for a catch tank, where can I purchase one from?
Kieranm105
Spanner Twirler

Post by Kieranm105 »

Dark ice designs have them.
E_T_V
Site Admin

Post by E_T_V »

I got mine from e-bay but others are available.

Most aren't very effective which is why I modded mine

http://www.roverdiesel.co.uk/forums/vie ... rt=20#p929