rover 45 dt

lasthope

rover 45 dt

Post by lasthope »

hi new so be nice,,,

Rover 45s dt 2.0 one with oil cooler

I took my thermostat housing off few days ago - it was empty. A new thermostat should be arriving later today, however, there was a metal washer stuck to the housing with silicone. I took it apart and cleaned it all up so I just need to know if this washer is needed.

Many thanks

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...112011829.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...112011828.jpg/
nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

Re: rover 45 dt

Post by nicko500s »

hi mate, tried looking at your photos but it said "404 not found" im not sure if or how you can put photos up on here.
not sure if i can be any help but i will try.

on my l series the thermostat is located in the bottom end of the oil cooler (black plasic tube like thing with pipes going into it located on the front of the engine) 3 bolts secure the the plastic housing thing which you remove to access the thermostat, you should find a big rubber o ring seated in either the oil cooler or the part you just removed to access the thermostat if this is the system you have then you will need to refit this o ring, if it is missing you can get it from landrover dealers as the 2.0L diesel freelander has the same set up i think.
without pictures its hard to say but sounds like this o ring is missing hence the metal washer, can you see a recess in either part that would accept an o ring?
nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

Post by nicko500s »

ok i had a look at some old posts and i think if you go to the engine section of the forum then click on overheating L series, then scroll down to the photo you will see one of the two types of thermostat housing highlighted by the yellow arrow, this is NOT the oil cooler type, have a read of the next few replys in which there are part numbers, prices and descriptions which maybe of help to you.
any questions just ask thers lots of people on here with good knolage of these cars :D
good luck, oh and let me know how you get on :)
lasthope

Post by lasthope »

cheers mate i have pm you pics
nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

Post by nicko500s »

hmm not recieved any pm, how you getting on? im off for a bit but ill check in later.
lasthope

Post by lasthope »

still here mate, still no replys on posts.iam just waiting on part turning up,if you dont mind i leave my email and you can mail me and send pic if thats ok

newkyo2001@yahoo.com
nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

Post by nicko500s »

ok the photos show the thermostat housing removed from the vehicle, it looks like someone has made what is best described as a large washer which goes from the outer edge of the housing to the inner edge of the housing up to where the o ring would normally be leaving the hole for the coolent too pass through.
lasthope, you say the washer was siliconed to the housing, so im guessing it was also siliconed the other side as well to make a seal instead of using the o ring?
did you come across an o ring at all? have you checked to see if the o ring is still attached to the oil cooler part? it maybe that the washer is original i cant remember but i do know mine had the o ring.
have a look and see if both the mating surfaces are flat and undamaged incase this is why the washer and silicone was used to stop a leak. also did you say the thermostat was missing when you removed the housing, if so theres most likely a reason for that, if you have the new thermostat make sure you put it in the right way round then i guess you have a choice, you can either refit with the washer and silicone or pu flex, or if an o ring didnt come with the thermostat or order an o ring and fit that, either way you need to run the car till warm with the heater set to hot and the expansion tank cap off to bleed any trapped the air out of the system till the heater air is hot then it should be fine, and also check for any leaks from the thermostat and hoses, and that coolent is flowing into the top of the expansion tank from the plastic pipe from the rad. if all is well, no leaks etc then you can go for a short test drive but watch the temp guage they rarely go above half way if it gets hot listen for the fans so you know they cut in and the sensor and fans are operational.

hope this is helpfull, again let me know how you get on :)
lasthope

Post by lasthope »

i mate i did find a o ring it was just in side the housing, in that lip that all so was coverd in silcon,by looking at o ring it seems a bit small like,,
nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

Post by nicko500s »

ok so if i remember correctly from when i did mine a year or so ago the o ring seems small cos it wont sit in the resess of the housing (when you refer to the housing am i correct in thinking you meen the part which you removed from the oil cooler that is in the photo?)
this is why when i refitted my o ring i had to slide and stretch it over the tube part of the oil cooler which held it in place so that i could refit the housing, the o ring works cos when you tighten the housing bolts it squashes the o ring forming a seal, i covered my o ring in vasaline to give a better seal.
it is possible to use the old seal if you really have to but at least check that its not damaged or out of shape or looks too squashed from before but personally i would get a new one, trust me its better to do the best you can to prevent future problems. if you are unsure wheather the metal washer is ment to be there you can go to your local landrover dealer and ask them to look on their system to see if its an actual part or not and get that o ring at the same time, (as its the same as the early 2.0L freelander diesel with the L series rover engine).
lasthope

Post by lasthope »

i mate iam getting new o ring to,i looked on this web site it showed me a pic and stuff that when into oil cooler but cant see that metal washer,,,http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID999641 by looking at pic seems the o ring goes on last,just one thing is there a paper gasket that fits on houseing,,,its just with that silcon who ever had car most of just plasterd it all over ,housing just waiting on part still, hope it comes today so you still car your car mate,seems alot of probs with over heating on them 45 just my luck