L-Series Freelander

Kieranm105
Spanner Twirler

L-Series Freelander

Post by Kieranm105 »

Hi
I have the L-series 2.0 diesel freelander (1999) and have just swapped out the intercooler-manifold pipe with silicone and alloy pipes. I had to measure up for this and get separate parts as there is no kit on sale anywhere for these. Looks good and improved the freelander already. I want to swap the bottom hose as well, but this is proving more difficult as it is a bit more complicated. I have emailed samco, viper performance, Derby Performance hoses etc etc and no one wants/can make it for me!
Does anyone on here know if it has been done before?
Thanks
Kieran
E_T_V
Site Admin

Re: L-Series Freelander

Post by E_T_V »

Roose motorsport have a range of hoses but not the freelander as far as I know. May be worth asking them though if you get stuck.

Its a bit hit and miss with hoses. On the 600 the top hose always blows (I gave up after my 3rd and made a silicone one). However the bottom hose which is very long and complicated is still the original! Its now on 263k miles!.
Kieranm105
Spanner Twirler

Post by Kieranm105 »

I can't find anywhere to make a bottom hose so I need to get a spare one and have a look at making it in bits.
I have so far added an air filter and heat shield, top hose in alloy and silicone. Got to add the decat pipe I have, just need to get some heat on the nuts!

More of a Land rover interest:
I have also added driving lights, front fog lights in valance, LED bulbs all round inside and out.
All terrain tyres, towbar on its way, lift kit to add.
Kieran
Kieranm105
Spanner Twirler

Post by Kieranm105 »

Uprated discs and pads on the Freelander.
http://i42.servimg.com/u/f42/17/22/03/48/510.jpg
Old pads that I took off compared to the new EBC pads I put on.
http://i42.servimg.com/u/f42/17/22/03/48/610.jpg

My freelander with my roof rack, spot lights and 2" lift kit on it.
http://i42.servimg.com/u/f42/17/22/03/48/img_1122.jpg

Next to do after adding another VCU!! is the front drive shafts and then put some more toys on her.
- 20mm wheel spacers and extended studs
- custom under body protection (sump guard, vcu guard, rear bumper guard plate)
- rock sliders
Then hopefully get her on some greenlanes :D
Kieran
nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

Post by nicko500s »

nice mods, those pads are well cooked LOL, im considering an early freelander with the L series engine, what do you get to the gallon?
Kieranm105
Spanner Twirler

Post by Kieranm105 »

I only do short runs in my freelander (work and back) so I get at the minute 250 miles from a tank (13 gal tank), so its around 19/20 mpg on the hills around Halifax with roof rack, bull bar, towbar etc!
But when you get it on the motorway and do 70mph nice and steady you can get 30+ easily.
nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

Post by nicko500s »

wow that sounds juicy, the range rover classic (when new) claimed 17mpg, the figures i saw suggest the bmw diesel engine in the slightly later freelander was slightly less economical than the L series plus there arnt all the mods that are available for L series cars so i think i will stick with my Range Rover classic, i still like your freelander with all you off road mods though,much cheeper to run long term than a classic and more reliable.

have you fitted sdi injectors? def worth the money for an extra 30bhp
Kieranm105
Spanner Twirler

Post by Kieranm105 »

Don't think you can upgrade the injectors on the freelander version.
E_T_V
Site Admin

Post by E_T_V »

Yes you can, you just have a smaller gain (not sure what it is to be honest as I've never seen anyone do it). You'll also probably have to extend the wire to the 1st injector as it is longer on the freelander I think.
Kieranm105
Spanner Twirler

Post by Kieranm105 »

Where can I get them from at a good price?
I still need to get the decat pipe and swap the bottom turbo hose over as well!