noisy drive belt

nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

noisy drive belt

Post by nicko500s »

Drive belt squeels, the first time i took it off, sprayed everything with brake cleaner and checked all moving parts, even though they are all new except the ps pump, sprayed the belt and it was fine but now its doing it again a 1000 miles later, there does not appear to be any oil getting on the belt but i guess there could be, the intercooler hose drips but thats the only source of oil in the engine bay as far as i can tell.
Im getting a new belt later as may as well change it while im reinspecting the cause of the slippage, anyone else had a problem with noisy drive belts? every thing is new as of 1000 miles ago
E_T_V
Site Admin

Re: noisy drive belt

Post by E_T_V »

Mine squeals a lot too. If I fit a new belt ist quiet for a few weeks then starts up again.

Get some WD40 and with the engine running (and the squeal) spray some WD40 onto both the inside and the outside of the belt run. If it instantly goes quiet then simply spray as and when needed. Ironically the WD40 helps the belt to grip rather than slip as it softens the belt rubber slightly.
nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

Post by nicko500s »

thanks ETV.

i had time to look at this in depth earlier, as the tensioner is new and clean i was able to see oil leaking out of it and down to the bottom of the housing, where it seems it must have got onto the belt, i removed the tentioner and cleaned it, there was a build up of fine rubber particles and oil on it from the belt slipping, i didnt think they had any oil in them? every where else around the tensioner was dry, no sign of any other source of oil, so im wondering do they have oil in the tensioner? it looked just like used engine oil. typically i only recently decided to throw out the old tensioner, i could have just swapped the pully over oh well
nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

Post by nicko500s »

oh yes thats a good tip about the WD40 i will give that a go first if it squeels again
BOLTCROPPER

Post by BOLTCROPPER »

I used to spray my Rover 25 belt with silicone spray, worked fine for a couple of months then needed spraying again. I replaced the tensioner bearing but could not stop the noise. Brilliant engine, pity it`s no longer produced.
nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

Post by nicko500s »

it turned out that power steering fluid was leaking out of the power steering reservoir, down the hoses and finding its way onto the belt, I fixed this by replacing the hose clips with jubilee type clips and its not done it since.