Oil Light delay

DaiWales

Oil Light delay

Post by DaiWales »

Hi All. The "L" diesel engine (183K miles) in my '98 Rover 620 is still running sweet as a nut. Since I don't have any garage facilities I had the oil changed (& filter) about a month back. All was well, and a long fast 300 mile run followed. But now, if I leave the car for a few days, , when starting up, the oil light takes a good 15 secs to go out. Once it's "out", on later re-starting it goes out Immediately, and NEVER EVER flickers when running.
When the engine's hot, parked up, I've tried slowing the idle revs down by partially letting the clutch out in 5th gear, - no flicker from the oil light.
This has happened relatively suddenly , previously the light went out quickly. Yes the oil level is correct; I'm wondering if in some way the oil is draining down from the pump overnight . Or it's a sign that the pump or bearings are as worn as I am and the oil pressure is low.

Any ideas welcome. The engine is running too well ( & very economically) to spoil !
cheers Dai
DaiWales

Re: Oil Light delay

Post by DaiWales »

Forgive me replying to my own post, but I'm beginning to wonder if it could be the pressure switch. I say this because I checked the oil again today, then started my dream car up for the first time since yesterday; ready to time the delay before the oil light went out - and it went out IMMEDIATELY. And it did that once before - last week. Either a 'sticking' switch - if there is such a thing, or a poor connection ?

Still grateful for any ideas / suggestions. regards Dai
E_T_V
Site Admin

Re: Oil Light delay

Post by E_T_V »

Two or 3 likely causes.

1. Oil draining back into the sump overnight. Possibly from a faulty oil filter non return valve - try changing the filter.

2. Oil pressure switch faulty. Its possible. I had one that glowed dimly which was rather worrying caused by water ingress after driving through a flood. Remember if replacing that it only needs screwing in and nipping up gently as it is a taper thread. If you screw it in hard you'll split the oil pump!

3. Engine wear. Mine takes a second or so to go out on my 272k mile 600. I wouldn't consider that excessive for the milage of engine I have!