mgzs td

octoman
Bolt Twiddler

mgzs td

Post by octoman »

hi im new to mgzs and just bought a mgzs td on 03 plate and it has a problem on tickover it sounds like its knocking but when you rev it it goes away , runs fine when driving but when you are in traffic you can smell exhaust gases in car have been told this is due to the timing solenoid in diesel pump is this right , also the driver footwell is wet when it rains where are drain holes thanks
octoman
Bolt Twiddler

mgzs td

Post by octoman »

with reference to my last thread does any other car has the same pump timing solenoid in thanks
E_T_V
Site Admin

Re: mgzs td

Post by E_T_V »

Are there any exhaust gases in the engine bay. If so then it could be a manifold or downpipe leak causing the noise/smell rather than the pump.

Timing solenoid failure is a very characteristic noise. It sounds like an old transit starting on a very frosty morning.
It doesn't lead to excess smoke/smell though.

The timing solenoids from some transits apparently fit although I've not tried it myself.
octoman
Bolt Twiddler

Post by octoman »

hi ref to last thread thanks for replys is there any tests for timing solenoid also is there any specific place for manifold to crack thanks
octoman
Bolt Twiddler

Post by octoman »

sorry also it does sound like its coming from front of engine
E_T_V
Site Admin

Post by E_T_V »

octoman wrote:hi ref to last thread thanks for replys is there any tests for timing solenoid also is there any specific place for manifold to crack thanks
There are some tests listed on mg-rover.org which should help. I think the title is "how to diagnose VP30 pumps" or something like that.

The manifolds don't crack generally but I've seen EGR blanking plates leak before (where fitted) which would give the same effect (noise and smoke under the bonnet).
octoman
Bolt Twiddler

Post by octoman »

hi thanks for reply had engine ticking over today and could not smell or see any fumes in engine bay and looked at manifolds and all look ok , checked injectors by undoing pipe unions and engine nearly cut out on all four injectors is this right , where could smell come from thanks
E_T_V
Site Admin

Post by E_T_V »

yes the engine should falter each time an injector is loosened. That appears normal.

The smell could be diesel leaking onto the engine (which usually comes from the little braided pipes that join all 4 injectors together and the longer pipe that returns unused fuel back to the fuel pump. Replace any of these pipes with new if they look damp or wet (They split under the cotton braiding).
octoman
Bolt Twiddler

Post by octoman »

hi have checked pipes from injectors all look ok but near n0 1 injector there looked like a sooty deposit but injector sound ok and when i loosened injector pipe union engine faulterd so they are obviusly ok , when doing timing solenoid on pump does radiator have to come out also what type of coolant is best thanks
octoman
Bolt Twiddler

Post by octoman »

hi got another problem got a lot of water in drivers footwell have tried putting wire down sunroof drain get so far and comes to halt also took scuttle panel cover off and no water in there is there any where else to look , wish i had not bought it now thanks