Exhaust wrap?

nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

Exhaust wrap?

Post by nicko500s »

Just bought a new std downpipe off ebay for about £40 delivered. the quotes I had to supply and fit where from £85 to £185! and I have ordered the dark ice cat back free flow exhaust, I also have the decat pipe fitted, im wondering since the exhaust is yet to be fitted is it worth wrapping the downpipe? would there be any benefit in doing so? would it be worth wrapping the centre pipe as well?
could this help when I have it remapped? the only mods I don't have are a tuning lead or a diggi maffam but it will be remapped after the exhaust is fitted.
nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

Re: Exhaust wrap?

Post by nicko500s »

Also I see that exhaust wrap on ebay is about £1 per meter, is this cheap and poor quality? I remember it was about £50 last time I bought it but that was years ago.
would I have to try to wrap the exhaust manifold and turbo as well? I don't think the manifold would be easy to do though.
nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

Post by nicko500s »

ok I read on another forum that this is pretty much a waist of time and money & that's its not a good idea to wrap the manifold or turbo on these cars anyway so im not going to bother :)
E_T_V
Site Admin

Post by E_T_V »

Sorry been away for a while on hols.

Wrapping the downpipe won't hurt, but won't gain you a lot.

Mine is wrapped but that is due to heat issues as it is a non standard downpipe to try and keep the engine bay cool.

Don't wrap cast manifolds as they often don't like it and may crack.
nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

Post by nicko500s »

Hope u had a good holiday :) Garage talking about using a nut splitter to remove manifold downpipe nuts as they worried about snapping the studs, I have tried to undo them normally but they are tight and corroded, I remember you said before somewhere that these arnt usually that bad but any tips on safe removal?
E_T_V
Site Admin

Post by E_T_V »

Heat is the usual solution to help them come off, that an a combination of penetrating oil.