I HAVE POWER!!

paulr600sdi
Bolt Twiddler

I HAVE POWER!!

Post by paulr600sdi »

many thanks to E_T_V for throwing all the solutions at me, i've at last sorted the power loss on my L series 600! changed the fuel filter to make sure it was drinking properly and the air filter to make sure it was breathing fresh air. :oops: errrrmmm i bought a air intake meter as i was told it was that when i took it to a back street garage! i then stumbled across these gurus, and realised i didn't need one! :x then started gettin a few tips on what it could be!

i checked all the intercooler pipes for splits and wiring for any breaks which would send it into limp mode, but still it kept feeling like the turbo would stop not long after 3000 rpm? a fuel filter, air filter and worthless MAF later ( which i haven't even fitted!) and i sorted it!

checked the intercooler hoses again!, there i found the problem! some wazock! who owned it before me must have had work done and whoever did the work forgot to re-tighten the clamp on the little hose that leads from the turbo to the metal part of the top pipe! sorted! Boosting perfect and reving right round!

sorry for the essay but thought i'd share my lesson to all! just because the hoses arn't split never assume they are bloody clamped on! :D one prob tho!? now i have the power back! I WANT MORE! :twisted:
any suggestions?????? :twisted:
If i'm not back in five minutes...... Just wait longer!

(Jim Carey, Ace Ventura)
p_b82

Re: I HAVE POWER!!

Post by p_b82 »

Nice one - it took me a while to spot a boost leak - seriously hampers performance if it still able to gernate some boost but not hold it, as i found out!

Go get your money back from the back street garage :)
paulr600sdi
Bolt Twiddler

Post by paulr600sdi »

didn't cost at the garage just got the MAF from breakers 30 quid! but if it aint faulty they won't take it back! :cry:

(Jim Carey, Ace Ventura)
p_b82

Post by p_b82 »

Ah well, could be worse i suppose - can always fleabay it to recover your losses!
paulr600sdi
Bolt Twiddler

Post by paulr600sdi »

will do! someone like me that hasn't been on here before will buy it!!!! :lol:

(Jim Carey, Ace Ventura)
E_T_V
Site Admin

Post by E_T_V »

Ahh yes, well it sounded like a boost leak. But at least it was an easy fix in the end.

Most of the times boost leaks are down to split intercooler pipes, but I guess you can't account for the previous owner doing half a job!

If you want ideas for your 600 then have a look at mine as a starter for 10 in the hall of fame. Not heavily modded by any stretch but definatly a lot nicer to drive, and the 234k miles shows it can be achieved reliably.
paulr600sdi
Bolt Twiddler

Post by paulr600sdi »

just checked your motor out and thats a good reading for the mods you did! (why didn"t they bloody do that when they made it!?) with the back box mod you say you have used a 'free flow' exhaust is this the brand name??? where could i get one from or can i use a universal box?

(Jim Carey, Ace Ventura)
E_T_V
Site Admin

Post by E_T_V »

The back box is just a 2.5 inch universal straight through one (well rather it "was". I broke it because it was poor quality). Anyhow the only silencer in the exhaust is the backbox, so get as large a one as you can fit and make sure it is 2.5 inch straight-thru in design and then pipe it to the mid section joint and it really does make a difference. I noticed the change back when I put a standard one back one, and again the difference when the standard one developed a rather large hole in it (about 2 inches dia!)

Anyhow the dyno I put up was a well known one for being conservative so many will read a bit higher too.

Basic mods will see 130 ish bhp on an Di engine.
FrankJScott
Spanner Twirler

Best Product Guide

Post by FrankJScott »

Please try Google before asking about High Rated Product Tips 199c570
FrankJScott
Spanner Twirler

Cool Product Blog

Post by FrankJScott »

Please try Google before asking about New Product Tips 2485_59