Injector Cleaning

E_T_V
Site Admin

Injector Cleaning

Post by E_T_V »

Take one typical used injector

Spend some time in my cleaning tank and this is what you get

Not the best results i've had but representative of what is achievable without taking things apart.

It won't sort out worn or completely duff injectors but worth doing all the same to remove any accumulations of crud.
Disgusted
Bolt Twiddler

Re: Injector Cleaning

Post by Disgusted »

What did you use to clean them, paraffin?

I think I might clean mine as they will be awkward to get out once in the van. Is it worth paying for ultrasonic cleaning or does this do the job?

Mine works fine but that's not to say an improvement can't be made as they haven't been cleaned for a good while (possibly never?)
E_T_V
Site Admin

Post by E_T_V »

Disgusted wrote:What did you use to clean them, paraffin?

I think I might clean mine as they will be awkward to get out once in the van. Is it worth paying for ultrasonic cleaning or does this do the job?

Mine works fine but that's not to say an improvement can't be made as they haven't been cleaned for a good while (possibly never?)
Generally you can use water and degreaser (flash works well), in an ultrasonic tank. I've also used acetone and alcohol at work before, but people are less likely to have those to hand at home.

I bought an ultrasonic tank as I had a fair few to do. Ideally you should remove the nozzles but that involves a fair bit more work and opportunity for mishaps.

I bung them in the tank for 10 mins, then give them a wipe off with some tissue. If there are still stubbourn stains then i use a plastic kitchen scourer to remove the carbon (it won't scratch the hardened steel nozzles), and then put them in the tank again for 10 mins or so until they are clean.

Lastly make sure you dry them thoroughly as you don't want them going rusty!
Disgusted
Bolt Twiddler

Post by Disgusted »

Hmm it seems I can buy an ultrasonic cleaner for the same price as having them cleaned :lol:

I think I might buy one and then I could do my petrol injectors on the other car when I do the valve stem seals 8-)