L-Series Freelander

E_T_V
Site Admin

Re: L-Series Freelander

Post by E_T_V »

Scrap yard is the usual source for injectors.

decat pipe can be had from darkice who do stainless ones (presume they are the same as the other L series ones!)
Kieranm105
Spanner Twirler

Post by Kieranm105 »

I emailed Ron @ Tuning-Diesel about my freelander and a digimafam. He says that the freelanders already have the sdi injectors in them?
So might just get them serviced.
E_T_V
Site Admin

Post by E_T_V »

I'm afraid I think he is mistaken. They have a different version of the VP37. So although they are a DI engine the pump is a different one and the injectors are also therefore different.

If you want to be sure then unscrew the injector nozzle and check the part number against the Di ones posted up here. I think they are different.
nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

Post by nicko500s »

have a look at dark ice designes, thay have a few good engine mods for the L series engine plus they have the sdi injectors as well, or look on ebay, if you do get second hand injectors get them tested at a garage to make sure they work ok, you will need the copper washers/ seals as well & check the little hoses that connect up the injectors as these leak, i think these are fuel return hoses.
they do a decat pipe, there is a small chance it could fit a freelander, its worth having a measure up, the other option is to remove your cat/ soot thing and smash out the clay type stuff from the inside, while this is a free mod its not quite as effective as a proper decat pipe.
pretty much all the info you need for modding the L series is on this site, this is where i learned what i now know.

i guess all the mods you do to the engine on the freelander will be diluted by it having to deliver the power through all the extra transmission? while the injectors will make a noticable difference the decat and turbo outlet pipe may not but the turbo should spool/come to full boost quicker.
nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

Post by nicko500s »

oops i replied without realising there was a second page
Kieranm105
Spanner Twirler

Post by Kieranm105 »

I have the dark ice designs decat pipe and fits perfectly. They do a rebuild injector kit or the full injectors.
I have blanked off the egr, silicone and alloy intercooler pipes, cone filter.
All the stuff I have done has helped a lot but it is still struggling with extra weight added with the roof rack etc.
nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

Post by nicko500s »

what is a VCU? I would be interested to see more photos of the off road mods you have done, if you have checked your maf sensor is working ok, maybe you could look into a remap? im looking at the duel map for my car when i have the money.
Kieranm105
Spanner Twirler

Post by Kieranm105 »

VCU - Viscous Coupling Unit.
This is the part that makes the freelander a 4x4 if you like. It sits between the two propshafts and when the wheels start to slip/spin the silicone type fluid inside stiffens up and makes the propshaft 'one' and drive is sent to all the wheels.

I have added a 2" lift, which is spacers above the springs and dampers. This gives better ground clearance which is one of the features the freelanders lack. I have all terrain tyres, these are great they stick to the road like glue and are great off road. Roof rack with lights front and back, towbar things like that really. I have a bull bar with a metal sump guard to fit soon, this takes away the plastic sump guard that comes as standard.
Kieranm105
Spanner Twirler

Post by Kieranm105 »

Here is one of me in the Yorkshire Wolds.
Fun day out :)

I have changed the MAf sensor and put the standard air box back on with an uprated panel filter.
Just need to sort the cold start problem out now. Changed the ECT sensor and still the same, got to do the IAT sensor see if that helps, if not it looks like a new starter motor. It starts fine when its warm so I don't think the starter is completely duff.

Oh and I have changed the discs for drilled and grooved with ebc pads :)
nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

Post by nicko500s »

ah, ok so the vcu is like a center diff lock, my range rover classic has that but i dont think they work the same?

there is a page in here i think that tells you how to repair the starter, assuming its the same as whats in the rovers?

what is that rolled up behind the lights on the roof rack?