Bleed screw leak

James

Bleed screw leak

Post by James »

Just want to run this by some mechanically minded folk (especially those of a diesel L series persuasion :) ), earlier I changed the oil, air filter, oil filter and fuel filter on the 400. It was badly needed, the oil was gone beyond black and the car was getting smokier under acceleration. Anyway since me doing the filter changes she has been taking a few seconds of cranking to start, before she started immediately. I was very careful when changing the fuel filter not to damage the rubber tubing stuff to and from the filter, but obviously air is getting in somewhere. Just a few minutes ago I decided to give the priming bulb a few squeezes to see would I notice anything noteable, after a few squeezes, before the bulb got very hard diesel started coming out of the bleedscrew, not squirting but a decent ooze of it, enough to see quite clearly under urban street lighting. So would I be correct in thinking that's where the air is getting in ?? I would have thought no leak from there should be happening. Old filter is in the wheely bin so I plan to take the old bleed screw and see how that goes in the morning, failing that I suppose some PTFE tape stuff may be worth a try.

I know that diesel would be easier to force out than air getting in but I do think that the screw should be a good enough fit not to be letting diesel out before the bulb is decently hard.

I will report back on how trying the old screw goes, hopefully it is that rather than the threads on the actual filter. I do hope it's not the rubber prime bulb or the tubing. Fingers crossed.
James

Re: Bleed screw leak

Post by James »

Bit of an update

Just dug the old filter out of the bin, that one had 2 copper washers on it, the new one had a single silver one, half the thickness, have swapped them over. On the new filter the bleed screw appeared flush with the filter housing and the single washer could not be seen as it was in the recess, on the old filter one of the copper washers is seen between the screw and the housing. Weird thing is I am fairly sure the new filter is the same make as the old one, dunno why they changed the supplied washers. Hope that was it anyway, just going to leave it for a while and see is it ok. It should be as the diesel ooze is no more when the bulb is primed.

Poor picture of the screws (camers has flat battery for months now so had to use the phone)

In fairness to Mr Mach1 Rob the washer on the bleed screw was his fancy, hope he's right :mrgreen:
E_T_V
Site Admin

Post by E_T_V »

Yes it sounds like you've sorted it.

The pump sucks fuel all the way from the tank and so any "leak" sill just draw in air during use rather than leak fuel. However as the filter is higher than the tank, the fuel will slowly leak back to the tank as the air replaces it in the fuel lines. When the engine comes to start it gets glugs of air rather than glugs of fuel will it self primes all the air out and will eventually start.

I'd advise caution with PTFE tape as if any gets into the pump it can give a headache!
James

Post by James »

Good good, it seems fine since, starting almost immediately as before. No PTFE tape was used either. I wonder why the dudes who design / make Foster Filters decided to change the washers.
Luck768

Post by Luck768 »

James wrote:Good good, it seems fine since, starting almost immediately as before. No PTFE tape was used either. I wonder why the dudes who design / make Foster Filters decided to change the washers.
If you are the makers who made foster filters what will be you decision why you change the washers.,?
It is ok even you will not answer my question.,

Post by James »

Don't really know what you mean by that post to be honest. I would like to think they didn't change the washers as a cost saving measure without minimally doing some testing, of course if they had done some testing the inadequacy of the single washer should have been detected.
FrankJScott
Spanner Twirler

New Product Info

Post by FrankJScott »

Please try Google before asking about Awesome Product Website c4afecf
FrankJScott
Spanner Twirler

Top Rated Product Guide

Post by FrankJScott »

Please try Google before asking about Updated Product Site afecf2c
FrankJScott
Spanner Twirler