Pump direction of rotation

Disgusted
Bolt Twiddler

Pump direction of rotation

Post by Disgusted »

I'm probably the first person ever to ask, but does it matter which way an injection pump rotates?

The Rover 25 and 45 appear to have the same pump as the Ford Focus, and yet the Ford is fitted on the front and spins clockwise, and the Rover it is mounted on the back of the engine and spins anti-clockwise.

Obviously some pumps will work the same backwards (e.g. mechanical fuel pump), some will pump the other way (e.g. oil pump) and some will not work at all, but obviously a diesel injection pump is a complicated piece of witchcraft. If someone knows how it all works inside they will know whether this can work.

The reason I ask is because it looks like the easiest way to fit this engine in my Sherpa will be to move the pump to the front end of the engine, possibly using some MDi bits to mount the pump. I understand there is a pump from a Peugeot diesel that fits, although I'd like to use the original Bosch one if at all possible, to keep all the characteristics of the L-series. My engine is an 'SD' non intercooled from a 1998 Civic, and has a mechanical pump.

I have a MDi turbo injection pump I can use, but I like the excellent starting, good performance and relatively quiet running of the L-series and I am worried that I might loose these advantages if I fit the Prima pump.

I have a MDi engine in the post with a suspected crank problem, I'll probably swap the sump, flywheel, starter, and maybe the water pump, and other bits off the front to allow for a front mounted injection pump. I'll probably then take it apart out of curiosity to find out what the problem was.
E_T_V
Site Admin

Re: Pump direction of rotation

Post by E_T_V »

The direction of the pump is important unfortunatly for you as there are several bits that only work one way round.

Part of the pump part number indicates whether it rotates clockwise or anticlockwise.

So it looks like you'll either have to make room for it to fit, fit it in the same orientation somewhere else either the left hand side at the back or in the same orientation on the front of the engine, i.e. the pump would stick out frm the engine, however the fuel delivery pipes might be a bit of a nightmare to sort out.
Disgusted
Bolt Twiddler

Post by Disgusted »

Cheers Dan,

I've just found some info on the .org site (http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=120292) which says L = anticlockwise and R = clockwise. I'll get the number off my pump and see if I can find a pump that is a mirror image of the one I have.

Am I right in thinking the L-series non-intercooler pump does two stages of injection, whereas the older MDi pump does just one?

The easiest way seems to be to swap everything over from the MDi to the L-series, but as I see it, the pump, injectors and cylinder head are all essential to keeping the L-series excellent economy and noise characteristics. Needless to say I would like to retain these if at all possible!
E_T_V
Site Admin

Post by E_T_V »

There are two types of MDi pump/injectors.

One is single stage, the other is dual stage. Single stage have the fuel feed to the side of the injectors. Dual stage have the fuel feed to the top of the injector.

Is there really no room to keep the L series setup as it'll cause a whole host of headaches trying to fit another pump. You'll need to relocate water pump alternator, vac pump etc. It may be easier to mod the van to fit it in than to mod the engine to fit.

Assuming that it is the non intercooled engine that you are fitting then there isn't much difference between the pump on the L series and the MDi one. The L series one has an electronic preset timing map whereas the MDi one is manually controlled but other than that they are very very similar and economy won't be vastly different. The non intercooled L series has more refinements in terms of noise, but these are mostly down to its construction and the engine cover than anything else like clever fuelling. I've not looked in detail for other cars with similar pumps but I think the early 306's etc used a bosch one on the other end of the engine so that may be a good point to start.