over heating L series

nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

over heating L series

Post by nicko500s »

im very pleased with my rover 45 diesel it goes well, however recently it has got very hot while driving hard.
sat ideling the temp guage reads normal, needle in middle, the heater was not that hot so i left it ideling with the heater on and the expansion tank cap off with the intention off clearing any air in the system, once the heater was blowing hot i replaced the cap.
the next time i drove it hard it overheated again expelling water from the expansion tank, so i repeated the above till the heater blow hot air, i drove it later that day normally and the heater was no longer hot but got hotter acording to how it was driven, i.e it got hotter as i excelerated as you might expect.
there is no oil in the expansion tank or water in the oil and no froth on inside of oil filler cap, there seems to be no leakes from the cooling system.

the coolong fans do work but i cant confirm at what temp they come on as on fast idle it dosnt heat up enough for them to atcivate.
i looked at the rad and it looks ok from both sides. although there could be dirt between it and the condenser unit.
the car has done 122000 miles the boost actuater has been tweeked and turbo gives about 1.4 bar. the cat/soot thing has had the insides removed, there are no other mods.

any ideas?

nicko
nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

Re: over heating L series

Post by nicko500s »

also there is a humming/ buzzing noise coming from the map sensor or the thing next to it, dose this indicate a fault or is this normal?
and i have a 2 pin sensor in the o/s end of the inlet manifold with no visible wireing to plug into it is that right?

thanks

nicko
E_T_V
Site Admin

Post by E_T_V »

nicko500s wrote:also there is a humming/ buzzing noise coming from the map sensor or the thing next to it, dose this indicate a fault or is this normal?
and i have a 2 pin sensor in the o/s end of the inlet manifold with no visible wireing to plug into it is that right?

thanks

nicko
The noise has been likened to an angry wasp. It is coming from the EGR solenoid valve and is normal although some tend to make more noise than others.

The 2 pin plug without wiring to it is also normal on the 25/45/zr/zs. On the 2/4/600's they use this sensor but on yours it is simply spare.

If the car is generating pressure in the coolant system before the engine has warmed up then that is not good news (sign of head gasket failure - they do not mix oil and water like other engines).

However more likely is a faulty thermostat. These are a sealed unit and a bit of a pain to replace due to the location (down the front of the engine). Freelander ones can be used as they are usually cheaper then the rover part.
nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

Post by nicko500s »

thanks very much E.T.V for your reply, i really hope it is the thermostat but i fear it may be the head gasket.
i did look around the front of the engine for the thermostat but couldnt see it, partco say they list two types for that engine, he said one looks as if one of them fits in a hose?
euro car parts one costs £6.85 +vat and partco around £4.

could you please tell me where the thermostat is located and how to get to it on the front of the engine as i really have no idea.

thanks for your help E.T.V its much appreciated.

nicko
E_T_V
Site Admin

Post by E_T_V »

I doubt either of those thermostats are the right part. That looks like the price for a normal removable one. The one you have is probably in a sealed plastic housing arrowed in the photo below.

Disgusted
Bolt Twiddler

Post by Disgusted »

Could be water pump.
nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

Post by nicko500s »

thanks for your replys

i visited premiers in romford a few weekends ago and we discoverded that the thermostat is located on the bottom of an oil thing poss cooler? thanks for the photo but it is not that thermostat either.
it is accessed from under the vehicle i drove it on to a set of ramp things and removed the big cover under the engine.
the themostat location is on the front o/s of the bottom part of the engine, it is fixed to the end of a tube like part with oil pipes into it.
the thermostat is retained in a black plastic housing secured to this oil thing by 3 star bolts? or what ever they are.
its a fantastic design they have made it like a little puzzel so that its not too easy and you dont get bored.
the upper most bolt is tricky to get to (if i remember correctly due to a random lug protruding from the block) so i did that 1 first the other 2 are straight forward.
you cant just pull the thermostat housing off as you would expect as it is pinched by part of the engine block at the location of the rearward most bolt.
gentle twisting and pulling should soon see it come free.
once removerd you will be pleased to see that there is no gasket to clean up as it is sealed with an o ring.

premiers part no PBM 100040 thermostat £25.80 +vat
land rover part no LPBM100040 thermostat £16.71 + vat
land rover part no for the o ring LLUE100110 £0.89 + VAT

should u find the bottom rad hose is a bit soft premiers part no is; PCH119690 £19.06 + vat
but remember that hose is for the engine with this specific thermostat.
to remove the thermostat from the black plastic housing you need to push down the lower plate and twist it so the arms come free of the housing, refitting is the reverse but trickier.
remove the o ring from the housing or it may still be on the oil tube thing but make sure u have got it off, clean the housing where the ring seats and where it sits on the engine part i put vasoline on the o ring to give it a seal, the o ring wont sit on the housing as its too small and falls out so i put it on the engine side stretched over the tube part.

refitting the housing is hard as that part of the engine that was pinching it is now stopping it going bak on properly it is fiddely and annoying but i found a combination of locating it then twisting in different positions helped it go on.
refitting that tricky bolt got to me and in the end i cross threded it and let it cut its way into the casting.

oh and it still overheats so yes now i try water pump
E_T_V
Site Admin

Post by E_T_V »

Is that the oil cooler thermostat rather than the water system one? I thought that all the L series had a plastic housing with the thermostat in slightly higher up in the same sort of location.
nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

Post by nicko500s »

oh poo,

i will have a look again i didnt realise there where 2 thermostats sounds like u r right i think it would be the oil cooler one,
E_T_V
Site Admin

Post by E_T_V »

The earlier L series in the 200/400/600 has a seperate oil cooler and thermostat. The thermostat is in a seperate sealed plastic housing and must be replaced as a unit.

The later L series has the water thermostat built into the oil cooler casting and is replaceable seperately like a conventional thermostat.

If yours is a later L then it sounds like you have changed the right thing. The pic above is an earlier L series with the seperate housing for the thermostat.