The hammer mod

E_T_V
Site Admin

The hammer mod

Post by E_T_V »

Some people will have heard about this, and some won't have. I've not advertised this mod before as if you overdo this mod you can cause permenant diesel leaks, and potentially engine damage or a non-start condition. Don't say I haven't warned you!

Essentially on the 200/400/600 intercooled models the fuel pump can be adjusted to deliver more (or less fuel), in much the same way that the max fuel can be adjusted on the non intercooled models.

The non intercooled models use a screw to set the max fuelling. The intercooled models don't. Instead the whole of the pump top section is mounted on slides and so can be slid from side to side to increase or decrease the fuel.

First start by scribing a straight line down the joint of the pump so you know which position you started from.

Next loosen the 3 torx screws that secure the pump top section. One security bolt can prove tricky to loosen but usually you can get away without loosening it.

WARNING- only loosen the bolts slightly. Diesel may start to leak out of the pump joint if you loosen them too much.

Then using a soft faced mallet or similar gently tap the top of the pump. To the left increases fuelling. To the right decreases fuelling.

You can do this with the engine running if you are careful. If you get an unsteady idle speed then you have gone to far and you need to back it off a little. If all else fails move it back to the original scribe mark and try again. The engine should be fully warmed up to do this mod as the unstable idle is most common when the engine is up to temperature.

It is only a small adjustment. 1mm of movement can make a big difference.

If you have a TU1 then this mod essentially does the same thing as the fuel knob adjuster.

Anyhow I hope you enjoy! Let me know if you found it useful.
Hoonigan

Re: The hammer mod

Post by Hoonigan »

thanks for this info, i did this to my 200 sdi, moved top slide over about 1mm , definetly made a differance and still get no smoke at all too.