bio diesel

nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

bio diesel

Post by nicko500s »

I maintain a 25 year old Kubota diesel ride on mower for a charity and we get our red diesel from a local farmer.
Recently I was asked to look at it as it would not start and the new diesel supplied smelled funny, when I looked at it, and im no expert, I thought as its a simple engine it might be fuel issue, the filter was blocked and the new fuel smelled of thinners or solvent or something, I took off the other fuel filter and it was also blocked, I decided the body would have to be removed to clean the tank and the outlet from the tank was also blocked.
I have heard that this diesel cleans or loosens up all the crap in the tank and fuel lines but was surprised how much stuff was in there, it was like brown wood shavings when squeezed between fingers.
as the tank was small I swilled a bit of petrol around and that seemed to get the sludge out, the tractor has a small electric fuel pump so I used this to draw petrol through the fuel line and as far as I know this has fixed it as they havnt called me back.
I have read somewhere that you should change the fuel filter on cars when first using this fuel but this has put me off, maybe its cos its so old and red farm diesel is usually contaminated with water and stuff from being decanted into so many different tanks and containers, anyone used bio and had any problems?
nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

Re: bio diesel

Post by nicko500s »

I meant to say that the farmer had changed to bio fuel and this was the cause of the blockages
E_T_V
Site Admin

Re: bio diesel

Post by E_T_V »

Bio contains different solvents to normal diesel so it can give issues. If it is home brewed bio then it can contain excess ethanol which is used to wash the nasties out of the processed veg oil. This can cause issues in some cases.
FrankJScott
Spanner Twirler

Cool Product Site

Post by FrankJScott »

Please try Google before asking about Best Product Website 32199c5
FrankJScott
Spanner Twirler

Cool Product Tips

Post by FrankJScott »

Please try Google before asking about New Product Tips fecf2ce
FrankJScott
Spanner Twirler