hi, newbie here,just saying hello

disenchanted

hi, newbie here,just saying hello

Post by disenchanted »

hi all, I am on my second rover 420d...s reg....have loved em both and dont want to drive anything else...but its getting harder to keep em on the road. I have little mechanical knowhow but get by somehow tho mostly cos i have a helpful garage and frankly they seem to go on and on....but its the little things that matter i think...you know what they say...its not the mountain that wears you out, its that grain of sand in your shoe...;)...so it is with my rover right now...really reliable, lovely drive and then suddenly am kangarooing down the road. Garage says its the accelerator position sensor...and i cant find a used one and a new one is £245 !!!
If anyone has any suggestions as to where i could get a used one....pls dont hesitate to let me know lol....am used to feeling like crap but i cant get used to being without my rover ;)
Mark
ps....helloing from plymouth,,,
E_T_V
Site Admin

Re: hi, newbie here,just saying hello

Post by E_T_V »

is it a SD or a SDi?

The former don't have a throttle position sensor!
The latter is usually a wiring issue near the bottom of the radiator rather than the sensor which is very reliable.
If the symptoms are much worse when it is raining than it is probably a wiring fault.

Otherwise kangarooing is unusual, but check the wiring to number 1 injector isn't chafed and also check the fault codes on the ECU (all you need is a paperclip!).

http://www.roverdiesel.co.uk/index.php/ ... ault-codes
disenchanted

Re: hi, newbie here,just saying hello

Post by disenchanted »

Hi E_T_V, Thanks fort the reply...i nver think of the car as either of those...its a 420diesel and i had the wires checked as per recommendations on this site but no problem found....so i paid the £245 +labour for the potentiometer and all problems are resolved...back to pullin like a train :)