Rover 200SD

mahariax

Rover 200SD

Post by mahariax »

Yesterday I bought a 200 SD N reg. My brother and I are both great rover fans but this is our first diesel. The car has 12 months MOT so had no problems with emissions this year however it has a history of failing for this reason. The engine has done a gen 80k miles and is completely oil tight. The problem is that the performance is lacklustre to say the least. The engine starts perfectly, is smooth but pulls with no verve. I can't even tell if the turbo is working. There seems to be a vacuum valve that operates a lever that activates something in the turbo. This lever does not move at all even if you rev the engine. The lever is free to move as I checked this. I was initially worried it might be seized. The engine smokes (diesel smoke) a little when cold but this soon goes. It also produces a lot of smoke at high revs. I owned a Peugeot 205DTurbo some years ago and that went like stink. When I drive the 200 its like driving a normally aspirated diesel. Can anyone help me with any advice?
Should that lever move when you rev the engine?
If you suspect that the vacuum valve is faulty where can I get a new one?
Does anyone have a workshop manual for sale?
E_T_V
Site Admin

Re: Rover 200SD

Post by E_T_V »

The valve you mention is the turbo actuator and is activated by boost pressure from the turbo. It is uncommon to see it move when revved and the engine isn't under load. The valve will open when full boost is achieved and this isn't generally when the engine isn't under load. So what you are seeing is normal.

One thing worth a check is the pipe from the fuel injection pump to the turbo. Check that there is no hole/leaks in this as this is needed to control the amount of fuel injected in relation to the boost pressure. If there is a hole in it then the fuel pump doesn't know the engine even has a turbo so performance will be rubbish.

Standard performance isn't fantastic at about 84bhp I think (assuming you have the non intercooled SD model). However there is a tuning guide on here to up that considerably. However I'd only do this once you are sure everything else is in good order.
mahariax

Post by mahariax »

Thanks for the reply. I will take a look at that pipe. Anyway that I can check if the actuator is working?
E_T_V
Site Admin

Post by E_T_V »

mahariax wrote:Thanks for the reply. I will take a look at that pipe. Anyway that I can check if the actuator is working?
2 ways really.

1. Fit a boost gauge (if only temporaily). That'll tell you whether it is making boost and what level and is it being regulated properly.

2. Disconnect the actuator pipe and attach a foot/hand pump to the actuator. Apply 15psi to it and you should see it move to open the wastegate. They are usually reliable though.
mahariax

Post by mahariax »

Thanks everyone for your help. $ tanks of fuel with injector cleaner and a little twiddle on the 'mixture screw have worked wonders. Turbo was working all the time